Saturday, July 01, 2006

Fontana Officer Shoots Armed Suspect At Park (Fontana Herald July 1, 2006)

Officer shoots armed suspect at park

By FONTANA HERALD NEWS

A Fontana Police Department officer shot and injured a man who was pointing a gun at him at McDermott Park on June 24 just after 1:30 a.m., police officials said.

The officer was patrolling the park at 7350 W. Liberty Parkway, where several fights had reportedly taken place recently, when he came across the suspect who was shooting a handgun, police officials said.

The suspect then turned, pointing the gun in the direction of the officer. The suspect was shot by the officer, dropped the handgun, and was immediately taken into custody.

The suspect was transported to an unnamed hospital where he was treated, police officials said.

The suspect's injuries were not considered life threatening and his condition was reported as stable, police officials said.

The officer, whose name was withheld, was not injured during the confrontation, police officials said.

*

As per department policy, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Unit will be conducting an independent investigation into the shooting, police officials said.


Congratulations on Saving your life or the lives of others. There is no telling what this guy was going to do with that gun that was raised in a direction that could have been lethal to you. It is not easy to do what you did, but it was either you or them, and it has to be them. Your sworn to do what you did, so take the time that you need to work thought the shooting and see if you can get back to the job. It will not be easy. I have seen some wild stuff in my career. I cannot give that super advice I had not walked in your shoes. I have come so close to pulling that trigger, and I mean close. So close that when I released my hand I could feel the trigger go back the spring free position, I mean I was squeezing it.

I don't know if I would have been justified, but at the time that I was squeezing that trigger the way that I was had that gun gone Off I felt that I would have been justified, I don't know if the court would see it my way!!

Take care sounds like you did everything good, and it was a good shoot. we will see you back on the job. Grow from the experience and don't be some hero type like my friend did and ruin your career.

BSRanch

No comments: