Sunday, June 25, 2006

Armstrong Says he 'hated racing' at the end!! (FoxSports.com 062506)

Armstrong says he 'hated racing' at the end

FOXSports.com

Retired seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong says he does not miss competitive cycling and that he hated racing during the late stages of his legendary career.

"I don't miss it at all," Armstrong said in a wide-ranging interview in the latest issue of Men's Journal. "I miss the training. I miss the team atmosphere. I miss my guys.

"But the last couple of years I would even say I hated racing. The only peaceful times were when I was at training camps, alone or with a few teammates, or at the races, in the hotel room, at the dinner table with my guys.

"That's the stuff I really love. I won't miss the Tour."

Armstrong also reportedly said he was "not a fan" of skier Bode Miller, who said last winter that Armstrong was among a group of high-profile professional athletes who used performance-enhancing drugs.

Armstrong quit professional cycling after winning the Tour for the seventh consecutive time last summer. An independent agency cleared Armstrong of doping accusation this week, but the World Anti-Doping Agency rejected the report on Friday.

He once said that he would not miss the big race, which begins on July 1, but backed off that claim in the interview with former television news anchor Tom Brokaw.

"The Tour is all I did," Armstrong said. "It's all I lived for. It's probably not fair to answer that question until we get to July.

"I mean, in July I may start pulling my hair out, 'cause it's the one race that I lived for. But I suspect not. I know that I can never go back."

No comments: